[Dixielandjazz] FW: Cut - thankfully - to the bone.

Craig I. Johnson civanj at roadrunner.com
Fri Mar 9 07:11:26 PST 2007

That the original "term paper" is essentially hogwash is exemplified by
the playing of Wynton Maralis and Henry Levene.
Tho' both are my idea (esp Marsalis) of consummate classical trumpet
players whom I would love to equal in that genre (but never could),
neither one
uses the same tone, attack or other attributes, except techgnical
competence, when they
play jazz of the New Orleans variety. ( I don't care that much when
Wynton plays
more modern jazz.). When consummate classical musicians play differently in
jazz & classical, I believe it contradicts the basic assumption of the
term paper.
A classical trumpet tone/timbre is totally different from jazz. - amount
of vibrato,
intonation, attack & rubato vs. strict note value being  examples.

(Neither Henry nor Wynton are my favorite jazz trumpet players, but they are
enjoyable, and do play jazz well, but do lack somewhat in "feeling". vs.
my favorites.
Al Hirt is an inspiration to but also not one of my favorites despite
his phenomenal
technical competence.
My favorites are Satch, Bix, Jabbo, "Wild Bill", Hackett and that's just
a start.
- (in another genre, H. James, Z. Elman)
--- all the above is, of course. "a personal opinion".
Regards,
Craig Johnson
Cornet - The Maine Stree Paraders