[Dixielandjazz] American TV

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Wed Mar 7 12:11:27 PST 2007

One thing which I have never figured out is why we import US sitcoms as
shown
> in the US and yet when we export our sitcoms to the US, it is only the
> idea
> which is exported,

That's been going on for a long time.  A friend of mine collected old radio
shows and had a collection in the thousands all meticulously cataloged.  I
was talking about it one day and he asked me if there was anything I wanted
to hear.  I said that I would like to hear some episodes of the Shadow.  He
asked me if I wanted the Orson Wells, The South African and another one
which I can't remember where it was done.  The point is that radio shows
were also exported too but not the original shows.

I would think that Steptoe would sound too much like Step and Fetch It which
was, I think a character in the 30's or 40's and would have uncomfortable
racial overtones at least here.  Titles aren't copyrightable here but shows
are, so I suspect that they might have had to pay royalties.  I understand
from my son in Germany there are knock off shows like American Idol there
and the soap operas which originated here are a huge favorite in South
America and Mexico.  Once you do something successful there are a hundred
imitators.  That's true of anything.  There are at least two guys who are
Frank Sinatra knockoffs here that do pretty well with it.

There is another factor.  Humor is different in England than  here.  Truth
is I don't think most Americans are able to understand the sometimes droll,
dry humor of the English Sitcom.

Personally I like the English Sitcoms better than the American but overall,
I would prefer to do something else.
Larry
St. Louis