[Dixielandjazz] Places to Play

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Wed Mar 7 12:02:59 PST 2007

Almost forgot to list College series on jazz in connection with Libraries.
Check out this series at the local University, just 10 miles from my farm. I
participated in the January Program (New Orleans Roots) and will participate
again this week. (Swing) Lots of Jazz Interest around these parts.

Kind of interesting to be viewed as a muso who knew some of the people and
bands that they talk about. Also interesting to be a part of the Lincoln
Center/NEA program. (Came about because we do concerts for the Hadley Fund
which is a co-sponsor here)

The kids, in awe of an old time jazz musician, call me sir. :-) VBG

Cheers,
Steve Barbone

Lincoln University to Host Jazz Video Discussion Series

LINCOLN UNIVERSITY, PA ~ Langston Hughes Memorial Library will host a free
six-part film viewing, reading and discussion series called ³Looking At:
Jazz, America¹s Art Form.²  The library is one of 50 libraries and nonprofit
organizations nationwide selected to participate in the project¹s pilot
program organized by Re:New Media in partnership with the American Library
Association (ALA) and Jazz at Lincoln Center (JALC).  The project is
supported by a major grant from the National Endowment for the Humanities
(NEH) and locally by the Hadley Memorial Fund of Kennett Square.

³Looking At: Jazz² explores the cultural and social history of jazz as it
developed as an art form in the United States.  The first program, focusing
on New Orleans and the origins of jazz, will be held on Thursday, January
25, at 7 p.m.  All programs will be held in the Dickey Hall Auditorium, next
door to the Langston Hughes Memorial Library on the Lincoln University
campus.  For details or to register, please contact Program Director Susan
Pevar, Special Collections Librarian, at 610-932-8300, ext. 3266 or
spevar at lincoln.edu.

³We are delighted to have been chosen as one of the pilot sites for this
unique program focusing on one of the most important art forms in American
history,² said Ms. Pevar.  ³This program allows local community members to
share with our students access to in-depth information from documentary
films, along with the expertise of Lincoln¹s own jazz scholar, Dr. Alvin
Amos.  Lincoln University is the perfect backdrop for this discussion
because our library can offer a full selection of resources for further
study of any of these topics.²

Additional films will be discussed on five additional Thursday evenings,
February through April in the Dickey Hall Auditorium.  The programs will
cover the Jazz Age and Harlem as a Center for Jazz (February 8); Jazz
Vocalists (February 22); the Swing Era (March 8); Jazz Innovators: from
Bebop to Hard Bop to Cool and More (March 22); and Latin Jazz and Jazz as an
International Music (April 12).  Lincoln University music professor and New
Orleans native, Dr. Alvin Amos, will lead a discussion of each session¹s
award-winning documentary films.

Supplementing the film series will be a Jazz Workshop on Saturday, April 14,
also in the Dickey Hall Auditorium, featuring a presentation on Jazz and
Native Americans by Dr. Ronald Welburn of the University of Massachusetts,
jazz-related exhibits in the Langston Hughes Memorial Library, and an
evening jazz concert by Carl Cornwell and Unit Circle in the Kennett High
School Auditorium, sponsored by the Hadley Memorial Fund.

Founded in 1854, Lincoln University is the oldest institution in the U.S.
established for the higher education of African Americans.