[Dixielandjazz] For the bones out there

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Wed Mar 7 07:31:02 PST 2007

James Butler <jbutler6 at twcny.rr.com> wrote (polite snip)

> Good grief I hardly know where to start! There are so many GREAT players
> out there today and in so many different jazz idioms I can't believe
> this "trombone player" made such silly statements as he did.

You nailed it shut James.

I would only add that the kind of statements that the "trombone player" made
were born mixing equal parts of ignorance and ego.

Ignorance of the hundreds of GREAT jazz trombone players out there today.
Not only those that you mentioned, but others like Roswell Rudd and Frank
Ku-umba Lacy who can solo their collective asses off, as well as read any
chart you want to throw at them. Or locally here in the Philadelphia area
where monsters like Glenn Dodson (in my band who scares us all with his jazz
musicality and prodigious technique even at 76+) and Matt Neiss (jazz
director at West Chester University's Music School) reside.

And the ego that says because Jim Cullum's bone man doesn't solo as often as
the other players, that is some sort of sin. Heck, we've got a bass player
in my band that never solos. Want to tell him he's not complete? Sheesh,
tell that to Lester Young, Kai Winding, J.J. Johnson, Billie Holiday, Mel
Torme, Clifford Brown, and a host of other great jazz musicians that went
out of their way to have him anchor the rhythm section when they performed
in the Philadelphia area.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone