[Dixielandjazz] My vote for a band never memtioned buy plays great.

Russ Guarino russg at redshift.com
Tue Mar 6 23:59:13 PST 2007

Speaking of bands seldom mentioned that play wonderfully well, my vote
goes to the "Uptown Lowdown Jazz Band"

They just performed at the Dixieland Monterey fest.

This year's set up was:

2 reed players, each a marvel of talent & both played Bass Sax.
Coronet, T-bone, Banjo, Drums, piano  [ & damn, I can't remember if they
had a Tuba.  I guess I was too taken with the Reed guys ].  All
exceptionally talented.

The band played what appeared to be 1/2  "head" arrangements, & 1/2
written arrangements.  The counterpoint and flow of ideas was
astonishing.

Most bands play an ensemble chorus, pass around the solos and then take
it out.

Not this band.  They get into a tune with the first chorus doing amazing
things,  then focus on the reeds doing more amazing things together.
These two guys play like they are engaged in telekinesis.  Then the
focus goes elsewhere.  What a banjo player !! etc. & etc.  One of the
engaging elements was the piano's turn.  After all the fireworks of the
rest of the band, the band went silent with only lite rhythm background
&  the lady just played simple lines that created a calming contrast.
Like catching your breath.

Gad, did I enjoy this band.  I hope you get a chance to hear them.

Russ Guarino