[Dixielandjazz] Re. Monterey

Nancy Giffin NANCYink at surewest.net
Tue Mar 6 14:45:03 PST 2007

Steve Barbone sent this from a festival review:

> By nightfall, more than 130 volunteers would be treated to dinner at the
> hotel, followed by -- yep, more live jazz and dancing.

At the volunteer party, the lights suddenly went out and the place was
completely dark. Still, the band kept playing! I wanted to see what was
going on, so I pointed my camera at the stage and took a flash photo. There
was Davy Jones wailing away on a trumpet solo as the rhythm section kept it
kickin'. In the front line, Allan Vaché and George Masso were facing Davy's
sound, even though they couldn't see him. The crowd didn't seem fazed by the
power outage either (perhaps because the music was so good).

Yep, it's a great festival, and I had a wonderful time there as always.
A lot of those bands and musicians will be at the Sac. Jazz Jubilee during
Memorial Day Weekend, so I hope to see you all there! May 25-28. Discounts
are available till April 8th.

Love and hugs,
Nancy