[Dixielandjazz] What we lack

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Mon Mar 5 16:41:01 PST 2007

First of all young people especially kids do like OKOM especially if it's
live and lively.  The rub comes because young people don't pay for OKOM.
The 20 somethings do not directly pay for live music.  They are more likely
to pay for their music in the price of a drink or some small cover charge.
They are not the ones typically hiring bands.  Bar operators and venue
operators who are older do directly hire bands.  OKOM does not have that
visceral reaction and the venue operators know what works.  If it's not
broke don't fix it is the basic philosophy.

There is a volume level that young people like.  It just happens to be loud
enough that everything else is blotted out.  You can't think except very
basic things.  This music is very high energy stuff and played very loud.
Venue operators are more than willing to give them what they seem to want.
Over 30 adults don't generally go in for that sort of thing and are usually
home watching TV.  Then we get to the over 50 crowd.  They don't go out that
much and like quieter groups that are more sophisticated.

There is a different demographic among blacks than whites.  At least here,
older black people club a lot more than whites.  The black community
supports their musicians and Jazz in general a whole lot better than the
white community does.  However that does not include Dixieland or Trad
groups.  In that case the situation is more than completely reversed.  I
think Singleton Palmer ( Well known Tuba player and band leader) was the
last black trad musician that I have seen or even heard of in the St. Louis
Area.
Larry
St. Louis