[Dixielandjazz] Dixielandjazz Digest, Vol 51, Issue 8

eupher dude eupher61 at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 4 11:15:06 PST 2007

Steve Barbone wrote:
Why not an OKOM revival along the same path? We've got youth bands, we've
got jazz camps, we've got everything it takes to bring the music into
today's scene, in place . . . except?
===================

Except it wouldn't sound anything like WE think it should.  Even if it used
tuba or bass fiddle, it would have to be so amplified and compressed that it
would have no flavor.  Bass drum?  It would overpower the banjo totally, and
sound like a sledgehammer hitting a concrete slab.

So, the question comes to, would that be such a bad thing?  Would it really
add to the preservation of OKOM?

How much did the Swing Dance craze of a few years ago add to the legacies of
Miller, Dorsey, Noble, Elgar, Morgan, Brown, et al?  What's Brian Setzer
doing these days?

In the post-Bill Haley era, revivals of musical style have been short-lived,
mostly due to the changes brought in with the revival.  The folkie thing
lasted a couple years, harkening to Woody Guthrie, but then Dylan went
electric.  McGuinn followed shortly thereafter.  The traddie sound from the
UK came to the States in the form of "Winchester Cathederal" and "Stranger
On The Shore" and a couple others, but didn't hold on.  The whole line
dancing country thing of the 90s was simply disco put into cowboy boots,
which themselves were morphed into a jewel-encrusted monstrosity.  Anyone
doin' the Achy Breaky nowadays?

Damn, I sound like a mouldy fig!!!

steve "ain't even hit 5-0 yet" hoog