[Dixielandjazz] Jack Teagarden

Marty Nichols marnichols at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 3 07:23:16 PST 2007

I am more sad than angry to add that there has been another blatant faux pas concerning tributes to artists whom would be celebrating their 100th birthday.
  I have the CD "Spirit Of The Horn, Slide Hampton And The World Of Trombones",
  issued in 2002. Incredibly, in my opinion, the album has a track called "Tribute Suite". It presents a pairing of "Lament" JJ's tune, and "Basin St. Blues." What's incredible to me is that the "Tribute" is to JJ Johnson and , no, not Jack but Louis!
  Slide Hampton plays the solo on "Lament" and he and Benny Powell solo on Basin St. Blues. Go figure that one.
  The N.Y. Sun article mentions a "swan song" for Jack in the album "Think well of me." I nominate Jack's 1963 Concert in CA only about 4 months before his death in  which
  he played and sang "A Hundred Years From Today."
  Marty Nichols

  "Original Message: 7