[Dixielandjazz] Benny Goodman Carnegie Hall concert

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Fri Mar 2 22:40:57 PST 2007

> Thank you very much for the reply.  I knew the Columbia one wasn't supposed
> to be good, but didn't know what the other one was. (I also work from
> vinyl.)  Appreciate it.
>
> Mart

Dear Mart,
I've just received, and played, the Jasmine JASCD 656 2-CD set of the Benny
Goodman Carnegie Hall Concert of 16th January 1938.
It is a great improvement on the original CBS 450983 2-CD set and way better
than the disastrous 1999 Sony/Columbia 65143 set with its clicks, hiss and
shrillness. (I've just spot checked all three.)
The Jasmine seems to have caught the feeling of the original performance and
is a joy to listen to. Or is it just my imagination?
Certainly recommended.
I haven't heard the Avid transfers so can't comment.
However, other Avid CDs I have are excellent, so would expect their BG set
to be fine.
Kind regards,
Bill.