[Dixielandjazz] Introducing : Pierre Guicquéro

Gary Kiser gary at kiser.org
Thu Mar 1 00:27:17 PST 2007

Hi all,

Even though I have played with him for 15 years, I just discovered
trombonist Pierre Guicquéro has a web site at
http://pierre.guicquero.free.fr .  It is a basic bio type site written
in French.  What I found interesting is on his 'Audio' page, he a clip
from some of the groups with which he plays.  You will see that,
although he leans very jazz, he plays in a diverse array of groups.  I
include the clips below for your listening pleasure.

Sac à Pulses - from Passport to Paradise
Riverboat Shuffle :
http://pierre.guicquero.free.fr/pro/Audio_files/Riverboat%20Shuffle-1.mp3
This is the trad jazz group where we play together most frequently.
More info at www.sacapulses.com

Paris Swing Orchestra - from Live au Méridien
Marie : http://pierre.guicquero.free.fr/pro/Audio_files/Marie.mp3
This is a 40s style big band that puts a lot of emphasis on vocals

Fab Foundation - from GURU
You Find The Groove :
http://pierre.guicquero.free.fr/pro/Audio_files/You%20Find%20the%20Groove.mp3
This is Clermont-Ferrand's premier funk band

Mojo Brass Band - from an unreleased demo CD
Mon P'tit Rémi :
http://pierre.guicquero.free.fr/pro/Audio_files/MonPtitRemi.mp3
This is the world's smallest brass band playing a Guicquéro composition.
Yours truly on tuba and Sac à Pulses' Marc Verne on drums.  More info at
www.mojobrassband.com

J.-L. Longon Big Band - from Festival de Radio-France
Two Note Blues :
http://pierre.guicquero.free.fr/pro/Audio_files/2%20notes%20Blues.mp3
This is a more modern big band playing a Longon original with Pierre up
front on the lead.  Jean-Loup Longon is an outstanding composer,
arranger and trumpet player, but a very difficult person to work with.

Swing That Music - from an unreleased demo CD
Please Don't Talk About Me :
http://pierre.guicquero.free.fr/pro/Audio_files/Please%20Don%27t%20Talk%20About%20Me.mp3
A more tradish swing group

The Pierre Guicquéro Quintet - from a live recording at Jazz en Tête
For Léna l'Ainée :
http://pierre.guicquero.free.fr/pro/Audio_files/ForLenaLainee.mp3
This group was put together especially for Jazz en Tête,
Clermont-Ferrand's fall jazz festival.  This is another Guicquéro compo.

The following cuts are not on Pierre's web site, but should be.  The
show off his diversity.

Dha Gue Na - from an unreleased demo
Guaguanco de Cuba :
http://www.kiserlabs.monespace.net/tunes/DhaGueNa/Guaguanco_de_Cuba.mp3
This is a great hybrid salsa/hip-hop group.  Probably not to everyone's
tastes.  I love 'em.  Sac à Pulses' Marc Verne on drums.

Dha Gue Na - from an unreleased demo
Acid Salsa :
http://www.kiserlabs.monespace.net/tunes/DhaGueNa/Acid_Salsa.mp3
I include this second clip of Dha Gue Na to explain the salsa/hip-hop
stuff.  Sac à Pulses' Marc Verne on drums.

Le Grand Rateau - from unreleased demo
Vos Désordres Sont Désirs! :
http://www.kiserlabs.monespace.net/tunes/GrandRateay/Vos_Desordres_Sont_Desirs.mp3
This is a fun small (one horn per part) big band sounding group.  Sac à
Pulses' Marc Verne on drums.

Big Band Turqoise - from Ebène
Tour de Force :
http://www.kiserlabs.monespace.net/tunes/Turquoise/Tour_de_Force.mp3
Pierre solos on this JL Longon arrangement of this Gillespie tune.

Pierre also recorded with Mo and the Reapers an electric blues band but
I don't have the CD.  He has played, but not recorded, with Yankees
Eddie Erickson, Ralf and John Reynolds, Sue Kroninger, Corey Gemme no
name a few.

There you go.  I hope you enjoyed this introduction to Pierre
Guicquéro.  I welcome all coments.

All the best, Gary

Gary Kiser
www.sacapulses.com