[Dixielandjazz] time signatures -- Johnny Guarnieri

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Sat Jun 30 20:19:13 PDT 2007

> I used to have that LP.  It was produced by three (sort of) Johnny's
> proteges, Vinny Armstrong, Jim (can't remember his last name, lives in
> Ohio
> and also plays drums), and Jim Turner, former pianist with the Great
> Pacific
> JB and now for the Jim Cullum JB.  Thus the acronym, TAZ, the first
> letter of each of the guys last names.
>
> They also produced two other LPs of Guarnieri's, "Stealin' Apples" and
> recording of Johnny playing Duke Ellington's music.  They sold that
> one to
> another company who released it.

Dear Bob,
TAZ = James Turner, Norvin Armstrong and Ted Ziedses de Plantes.
I also have their 'Stealin Apples' LP.
I couldn't find any reference to an Ellington music LP from 1976, but
do have an 'Echoes of Ellington' CD on Star Line SLCD-9003 taken from
the Sounds Great SG 5001 LP recorded in LA (no date on the CD).
This was produced by Wayne Knight in about 1984 and recorded by Cecil
Spiller using a Stahnke Reproducing Piano, so is probably not the one
by the TAZ team, which I can't locate.
Kind regards,
Bill.