[Dixielandjazz] Blacks & OKOM

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sat Jun 30 17:35:48 PDT 2007

Just returned from our gig in downtown Wilmington DE . A Street Festival
sponsored by a church in the Black section of town.

Audience 95% Black.

Music OKOM, but blues based as in Armstrong All Stars, or the NYC/Chicago/
Kansas City style of many of the mixed bands in NYC in the 1950s.

Wow, what a reception. It was like the Red Sea Jazz festival (Tom Wiggins &
Bob Romans can tell you about that)

Every time I said "Thank You to the cheering audience they responded; "No
Thank YOU!." And they cheered and cheered for solos, ensembles, routines,
etc. Couldn't help but hear the shouts, "man, you don't hear this music on
Smooth Jazz FM radio. How come you are not better known?" Etc., etc., etc.

And what a great reception they gave our red-headed 27 year old female
trombone player. (She is a strong player mixing J.J. with Kid Ory)

I always thought I was pretty hip to the fact that blacks like this music,
but this went far beyond that. Booked 2 gigs in Black venues before we were
done. Bottom Line? You can be sure I will be marketing to more black venues
in future.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone

.