[Dixielandjazz] FW: time signatures

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Sat Jun 30 11:39:27 PDT 2007

Great, David!  Even better than a book!!

I found this right away:
[edit] Compound time signatures
In compound time signatures, each main beat is divided into three equal
parts. Compound time signatures are distinguished by an upper number which
is commonly 6, 9 or 12. The most common lower number in a compound time
signature is 8, meaning the time is beaten in eighth notes (quavers).

Once Adam gets the idea, I can then try explaining where the upbeat lies
again, and hope he begins to understand the idea of swing, etc.

I never knew how far apart our minds were...his being exact, and mine being,
well, arty!  We just weren't able to communicate on this subject at all,
since we were going at it from two different angles.  He's my eldest son (42
yrs old).
:>

Thanks, again.

Jim