[Dixielandjazz] The most important 7 bars in traditional jazz

Lutemann at aol.com Lutemann at aol.com
Tue Jun 26 21:24:35 PDT 2007

This post never showed up so I'm trying again.

I'm probably not telling anyone on this list anything new but here  goes.
One of the most important chord progressions in Jazz from 1910-1930  has to be
the last 7 bars of Bill Bailey.  The interesting thing is  how this progression
is sometime hidden either by the melody or by slight  variations. I'm talking
about

IV, II7, I, VI7, II7, V7, I

(The VI, II, V I progression is standard in all tonal  music.)  Sometimes
they mess with the first or second  II7. The first II7 can be just about any
dominant substitution  In  Milenburg Joys the composer uses bVI7 substitution for
both the VI and  II7. In "Up a Lazy River" the progression is double timed.
I use this  idea to help me memorize chord progressions.  Here are are few
tunes with  this classic 7 bars. BTW, does this progression come up before Bill
Bailey,  say in ragtime?  I'm sure it must. Classical music too.

Bill Bailey
Milenburg Joys
Tiger Rag
Some of these Days
Struttin With some BarBQ
Washington and Lee Swing
I Can't Give You anything But Love
Up a Lazy River
Let Me Call You Sweetheart (IV, bI7,  I, VIm7,II7, V7, I) nice!
Sister Kate
Bourbon Street Parade (this IS Bill Bailey)

 See what's free at _AOL.com_ (http://www.aol.com/?ncid=AOLAOF00020000000503)
.