[Dixielandjazz] Bunk on film

TBW504 at aol.com TBW504 at aol.com
Thu Jun 28 04:22:56 PDT 2007

When I spoke of a Bunk Johnson film I was referring to something that
actually exists. However, on reflection, I should have mentioned the French
recording on sound and film for the Office of War Information at the St Charles
Hotel, New Orleans in February 1945. Unfortunately the film has been lost -
probably discarded - although the sound (4 numbers) has surfaced on a number of
labels. It seems the French were appalled at the then level of racism and
segregation. Jean Paul Sartre was among the journalists present. Subsequently it
is not surprising that many jazz musicians became domiciled in France, and the
rest of Europe.
Brian Wood