[Dixielandjazz] Fwd: Redhotjazz archive in jeopardy of closing down due to new laws

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Thu Jun 28 03:09:55 PDT 2007

Dear friends,
The following worrying email has come in from Linda, moderator of the
Jelly Roll Morton list.
It seems that the magnificent Red Hot Jazz Archive site is also under
threat from the proposed legislation aimed at the 'little' US internet
radio stations by big business and may be forced to close (after 11
years) on 15 July 2007.
It looks as though we 'outsiders' may be penalised after all.
Kind regards,
Bill. Who doesn't really understand it all.

Begin forwarded message:

> From: "Linda" <jazzgirl1920s at aol.com>
> Date: Thu Jun 28, 2007  6:11:29  AM Australia/Sydney
> To: jellyrollmorton at yahoogroups.com
>
> I would like to direct readers to a post at Yahoo redhotjazz by the
> owner of the redhotjazz archive, Scott Alexander. I have learned the
> redhotjazz archive, which we all use to listen to our favorite early
> jazz recordings, may have to close down due to a financial hardship
> imposed by new laws concerning music copyrights and royalty
> payments. We should do all we can to prevent this unfortunate
> circumstance from happening.-Linda
>      http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/RedHotJazz/message/4395

Kind regards,
Bill.