[Dixielandjazz] Youth Band With Fulton Street In Sacramento

Robert S. Ringwald robert at ringwald.com
Tue Jun 26 09:26:07 PDT 2007

Listmates,

=As you know, the Sacramento Traditional Jazz Society has a lot of great
youth programs.  We sponsor a week-long youth Jazz Camp each year with
upwards to 100 kids between the ages of 12 and 17.  This camp has been going
now for over 20-years.  There are quite a few graduates who are now
professional, working musicians.

We also sponsor a STJS youth band, The TNT (The New Traditionalists).

 Along with the STJS Foundation, we give many scholarships for music lessons
every year.

 During this year's 34th annual Sacramento Jazz Jubilee, we had many youth
bands performing.  We also had some youth performing with the professional
bands as apprentices.

The week before the Jubilee, our reed player and DJML Listmate Paul Edgerton
went to CO, gave clinics to the youth and was the featured artist at the
Denver Jazz Club.

During a set at the Swing Dance venue, the Dry Creek Dixie Dawgs from
Littleton, CO sat in with us, (the Fulton Street Jazz Band).  Below is a
note from their director Ed Cannava  to Paul and the FSJB.

(snip)
>> Thanks a million for inviting my kids in the Dry Creek Dixie Dawgs to
>> perform with your band at the Sacramento Jazz Jubilee!  They loved
>> playing
>> with you and your band so much, Paul - you were so kind to all of them.
>> The
>> band looks up to all you guys so much!!  It was great getting to perform
>> with you again, since the band had that terrific experience with you at
>> Bill's Festival the previous week - it meant so much to all of us.  That
>> ballroom was incredible - you definitely picked the best venue - what a
>> blast performing there!!!
>>
>> We really appreciate you setting this performance up for us, Paul.
>> Congratulations on your dynamite band!  You guys bring the house down
>> every time you perform!!  Take care, and hopefully we'll see you again
>> soon!
>>
>> Ed Cannava & The Dry Creek Dixie Dawgs
(snip)

--Bob Ringwald