[Dixielandjazz] Preservation Hall JB revisited

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Sun Jun 24 14:25:19 PDT 2007

Partly true, sure.  But it's only a part of the story.  I have not
died yet - but have long stopped listening to the PHJB, because it
stagnated.  After the olg musicians died, that band was only allowed
to play certain tunes, in a certain way.  Consequently, it always
sounded the same.  no spirit or originality.  And if it really sounds
now like the Rebirth Brass Band, then I'm not going to listen to it in
the future, either - can't take that noise (I've tried), and I do not
care how many people do.
And I don't care whether a "trad" band (what is it, anyway?  Condon?
George Lewis?  The Dukes of Dixieland?) uses banjos and tubas (The
Original Dixieland Jazz Band had neither) or a guitar and a double
bass (or nono of those), as long as it plays well and with gusto!
Cheers