[Dixielandjazz] Carolina Chocolate Drops on Prairie Home Companionthis we...

Gluetje1 at aol.com Gluetje1 at aol.com
Sat Jun 23 21:28:52 PDT 2007

Actually I have yet to hear them including on this show.  Their web  site
will give you good information.

>_http://www.sankofastrings.com/ccd/about.html_
(http://www.sankofastrings.com/ccd/about.html) <

I know of them primarily through their active participation on a  Yahoo list
entitled, "Black Banjo Then and Now".  I believe they  formed as a group only
a couple of years ago after meeting at a Black Banjo  Gathering that was an
out-growth of the Black Banjo list.  All of that in  turn has had support from
an Appalachian college which I can't think to name  just now, and grows out of
a doctoral research project on Old Time Banjo  Playing, what the exchange
between mountain blacks and whites might have been as  reflected in extant
memories and playing.  The book that came out of that  by Cecelia Conway is "African
Banjo Echoes in Appalachia".  No significant  OKUM content as the focus is
Appalachian Folk Traditions and various five-string  finger-picking approaches.

They seem to be finding rapid and steady success in return for their
extraordinary sincerity and devotion to what they are about.

Ginny

In a message dated 6/23/2007 10:50:36 P.M. Central Daylight Time,