[Dixielandjazz] gospel tunes

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Sat Jun 23 18:46:51 PDT 2007

> By the way, "Serenade to Gabriel" is a Hoagy Carmichael gem and
> Marilyn Keller sings all the ones noted beautifully.

Dear Scott,
This one intrigued me, as it it not on the general list of Hoagy items
I have.
The best I could come up via the internet (apart from the ubiquitous
ads) is that it is from the 1950s and conprises Hoagy's lyrics set to
the 18th variation from Rachmaninoff's Rhapsody on a theme by Paganini.
Is this true?
It is on the CD set 'The Hoagy Carmichael Centennial Collection', but
not in the Index to Mr Sudhalter's book 'Stardust Melody".
Is there a story behind it?
Kind regards,
Bill.