[Dixielandjazz] Two Surprises from Al Levy

Gluetje1 at aol.com Gluetje1 at aol.com
Sat Jun 23 11:29:48 PDT 2007

A couple of weeks ago Al put a request on our list for help finding lead
sheets for a few tunes.  With his request he offered to send a CD of one of  his
Fake Books to anyone who could provide him with one or more of the tunes for
which he was searching.  That offer was the first surprise!  I've had  plenty
of requests for a lead sheet and don't mind sharing when I can.  But  I
certainly thought it was generous of Al to offer to send a Fake Book CD in  return.

The second surprise was this week when the CD arrived.  The one Al  sent is
entitled Musician's Reference Library, Fake Book 10, C  Instruments.  I know
there are list mates who would appreciate having  this disk--I just don't know
who you are.  I was wide-eyed at the number of  good tunes he includes that are
not in standard fake books.  This  volume has a focus on tunes from Broadway
Musicals plus Ethnic Collections  focused on French, German, Hawaiin, Irish,
Italian, Jewish, Latin, and  Russian.  The files are in PDF format so if you
have Adobe Acrbat Reader  you can open and print them.  Al includes his own help
section to make it  even easier to navigate between the index, the tune you
are looking for,  etc.  (An advantage of disk fake books is that you only have
in  print the tunes that meet your needs.)  Lyrics are printed below the
melody line.  I think Al uses Finale music writing software, but at  any rate, all
is totally attractive and legible in format.  I haven't  discerned the exact
number of tunes, somewhere past 450.

I do not know his pricing structure but here is his web site for more info
or contacting him:
>_http://alevy.com_ (http://alevy.com) <

Ginny