[Dixielandjazz] The Definition of "Head" Music

David Richoux tubaman at tubatoast.com
Fri Jun 22 17:02:47 PDT 2007

It can even happen with a band that has been playing together for
decades!

In recent gigs my "main" band leader started out (on trumpet) several
songs in the (not wrong, but  one we did not ever rehearse) key. On
two of them we pressed on regardless, but on the other one we
actually stopped, stage-shouted  "wrong key!" and started again...

Maybe it was less "professional" but the end result IMO was much
better for everybody (audience and band ;-)

We usually have our banjo player quietly strum the first chord of
each song just before we start it - that really helps!

Dave Richoux