[Dixielandjazz] Wedding dances: a new trend (was What's a Musician worth?)

David Dustin postmaster at fountainsquareramblers.org
Mon Jun 18 17:03:43 PDT 2007

Larry wrote:
I have noticed a new trend and it happened again Saturday night.   The Bride
and Groom have taken dancing lessons.  This couple did a quite elegant dance
routine that would rival what you would have seen on the screen in the
1940's.  They were quite good.  They did a Waltz, Foxtrot and three or four
Latin's during the evening.
===================
I think a trend IS building. My eldest daughter and her betrothed took
ballroom dance lessons before their wedding a couple years ago. But the fact
that they cut a pretty nice foxtrot paled in comparison with the spectacle
of my daughter flipping me over her head at the conclusion of the
father-daughter dance. (I¹m not making this up.) She¹s 5¹10² and willowy to
my 6¹3² and egregiously out-of-control. I used to be a fair ballroom dancer
myself, which daughter knew, but she falsely figured her dad (being a known
rascal and a trombone player) was going to Œdip¹ her in front of the
assembled multitude and took an anticipatory backward death dive heading for
the floor at 60 MPH. I was unbalanced (ask my wife) at that split-second but
tried desperately to slow her fall, being unwilling to allow my gorgeous
daughter to fracture her skull on her wedding day. Because I couldn¹t let
her go and couldn¹t maintain my balance, I flipped right over her! I wheeled
in the air, twisting to avoid landing on her and crashed down full-length on
my side, cracking a couple ribs and incurring shoulder trauma that has me
motion-limited to this day, even after cortisone shots and physical therapy.
Good thing I¹m not a drummer.  All I have to do is hold the bone with that
arm.

Ah, the good times. (Can somebody reach up and kindly turn out that light?
It hurts like hell to raise my left arm...)

David Dustin