[Dixielandjazz] What's a Musician worth?

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Mon Jun 18 09:04:45 PDT 2007

That's pretty much the way it used to be here.  Weddings, and I have done
hundreds, were a little less staged.  For example there was no such thing as
a wedding planner and the meals were almost never formal sit down affairs
with place settings and multiple glasses.  They all pretty much followed the
same format and after the buffet the band could get something and everything
worked pretty well.

I think what happened is that the DJ's sucked off all the lower end
receptions.  For years even families of modest means would throw a bash when
their daughters got married.  I have a feeling that the whole thing has just
gotten out of control for the average person.  I haven't done a church
basement,or American Legion Hall for at least 5 years except for at the ST.
Louis U. College Church but that was definitely not a low end affair nor is
that church an average church.  15-20 years ago that's all that we did one
after the other.

The receptions that we do now are definitely a cut above what was happening
10-20 years ago.  I don't even get calls for receptions but then again we
aren't playing top 40 or disco.

I have noticed a new trend and it happened again Saturday night.   The Bride
and Groom have taken dancing lessons.  This couple did a quite elegant dance
routine that would rival what you would have seen on the screen in the
1940's.  They were quite good.  They did a Waltz, Foxtrot and three or four
Latin's during the evening.

Is this something that is happening elsewhere?
Larry
St. Louis