[Dixielandjazz] Squirrel Nut Zippers: a lesson there

Bill Allen ballen at deltapathology.com
Thu Jun 14 10:33:03 PDT 2007

I did hear a story about them once (I believe that it was in Rolling Stone)
in which they were doing a sound check on one of the late-nite shows, and a
staffer said, "Guys, that's a great idea, doing your soundcheck with all
these beat-up old horns so that you don't dent your good instruments". They
looked at him and said (truthfully), "These ARE our good horns".

Even at the height of their popularity, they were using a bari borrowed from
someone's brother's middle school band.