[Dixielandjazz] Teagarden in Boston

Laurence Swain l.swain at comcast.net
Wed Jun 13 13:01:16 PDT 2007

Marty Nichols responded to my question "Was it the Savoy Cafe?" thusly:

    Larry and List Mates,

    All I recall is that it was a small barin Boston and between Teagarden sets there was an
    "exotic dancer" plus an MC who also sang a few songs. Come to think of it , I was struck
    by the irony when he sang "What Kind Of Fool Am I?". LOL.

    Also, upon reviewing my OP, I see I used the phrase "dark side". This was not meant to
    imply anything racial at all, rather a reference to the "brothels, dives and other houses of
    ill-repute" that had been brought up in connection with the origins of jazz.

Marty:

Well, that does not sound like the Savoy, as I remember no exotic dancers there (except
perhaps for the occasional date I would squire there), and I'm pretty sure the only MC would
have been the leader of whatever band would be playing.

Larry Swain
Backup piano player of last resort, Boston area