[Dixielandjazz] Fwd: Re: Teagarden in Boston

Marty Nichols marnichols at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 13 12:43:04 PDT 2007

Marty Nichols <marnichols at yahoo.com> wrote:  Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2007 12:41:31 -0700 (PDT)
From: Marty Nichols <marnichols at yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Teagarden in Boston
To: Laurence Swain <l.swain at comcast.net>

  Larry and List Mates,

  All I recall is that it was a small bar in Boston and between Teagarden sets there was an "exotic dancer" plus an MC who also sang a few songs. Come to think of it , I was struck by the irony when he sang "What Kind Of Fool Am I?". LOL.

  Also, upon reviewing my OP, I see I used the phrase "dark side". This was not meant to imply anything racial at all, rather a reference to the "brothels, dives and other houses of ill-repute" that had been brought up in connection with the origins of jazz.

Laurence Swain <l.swain at comcast.net> wrote:
      Marty Nichols wrote:

    I particularly recall seeing Jack Teagarden in Boston MA back in the
    60's in a venue that I thought was far "below" his level.

    What a shame!

  ====================================

  Was that venue the Savoy Cafe, on Massachusetts Ave? Small, but clean, with a constant stream of OKOM bands from all over.

  I spent lots of time there in the 50's and 60's, as it was one of the few Boston venues featuring OKOM groups.  Saw Turk many times, bought a drink for Omer Simeon, and was there the night that Jimmy McPartland took a break and introduced us to his new British wife Marion Page McPartland!

  If not the Savoy, then where?

  Larry Swain
  Backup piano player of last resort, Boston area

  Gerald "Marty" Nichols
  Hear My Music at:
  http://myspace.com/freemarty

Gerald "Marty" Nichols