[Dixielandjazz] Volume and clarinets

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Tue Jun 12 09:19:02 PDT 2007

Just a note on my Selmer G10.  When I started playing the instrument I
noticed that it was flat throughout the range.  I was a little surprised
since I had the original barrel joint and it appeared to be way too long.  I
tried several things and I remembered I had a Click Barrel that they had
sent me to review when the thing first came out.  It worked shoved all the
way in.  I eventually bought the better Click Barrel and used it for some
time.  The instrument played really well and I had no significant intonation
problems from the short barrel.

I had heard that the 10 wasn't the best jazz instrument but then why did
mine play so well?  That question was answered by my repairman (Marvin
Krantz) who is also a world renowned bassoon technician.  He told me that
over time the bore gets bigger in a wood clarinet, especially if it's not
oiled regularly and will cause the pitch to drop.

Marvin was a Bassoon player long before he opened his shop and like a better
mouse trap the world beats a path to his door.  Every time I go in his shop
there is a stack of bassoons waiting for him.

It's amazing the business that his shop generates.  There are three
technicians and a receptionist besides Marvin and  Bill Meyers who is also
an owner and specializes in brass.
Larry
St. Louis