[Dixielandjazz] Nellie Lutcher

TBW504 at aol.com TBW504 at aol.com
Tue Jun 12 05:46:48 PDT 2007

I'm new to the DJML so forgive me if I comment on something that has  already
been dealt with
Nellie Lutcher was born Oct. 15, 1912 in Lake Charles, La. She played  with
Bunk Johnson in the Imperial Band in 1931 and her father, Isaac "Skinner"
Lutcher (from St. Joseph, LA.) played bass in the same band. She toured  Louisiana
and Texas with the Southern Rhythm Boys as a teenager, and worked  again with
Bunk in Polo Barnes' band touring Louisiana in 1932 and 1933. Nellie
remembered Bunk playing on a borrowed trumpet and tuba, despite reports that he  gave
up playing after the Evan Thomas murder in 1932 when his horn was  smashed.
She left for Los Angeles in the mid-thirties. In 1945 she  had a trio in
which the vocalist was Roberta Dudley who recorded with Kid Ory in  1922. It was
not until she started singing herself in 1947 that she found fame  as a solo
recording artist, being immediately signed by Dave Dexter for the  Capitol label
after featuring on a "March of Dimes" show. Toured Britain in  1950. Nellie
was not to make her New Orleans debut until 1977.  She  appeared at the 1993
New Orleans Jazz Fest where she was said to have been the  star of the show.
Would you believe that the day of her appearance it absolutely  poured with rain
and I decided to give it a miss .......… In order to seem  younger than she
really was Nellie originally claimed to have been born in 1915.  Her brother,
Joe Woodman Lutcher, was a very capable sax player and vocalist,  who recorded
in the modern idiom on Capitol in California, but gave up music  when he became
a Mormon. Nellie is also the aunt of Latin jazz percussionist  Daryl
"Munyungo" Jackson. It is said by Balliett that Nellie's hit recording of  "Fine Brown
Frame" referred to drummer Big Sid Catlett with whom "she stepped  out in the
forties."
(Extract from The Song for Me)
Brian Wood