[Dixielandjazz] Benny Goodman small group CDs

Laurence Swain l.swain at comcast.net
Mon Jun 11 19:13:07 PDT 2007

Someone mentioned on this list these as among his favorites, and I can hear a couple in my
mind right now -- who cannot forget "Avalon" and "Moonglow" and so many others.  Benny,
Jess Stacy, Gene Krupa, Lionel Hampton, Teddy Wilson, and others.

Can anyone point me to a (reasonably priced ) collection of ALL the small group stuff (I have
a number of these on 45s bought in the 50s, but would love to have them on CD) -- I think
this includes trios, quartets, quintets, sextets, and septets.

Never had that much attraction to the big-band stuff by Benny (except the '39 Carnegie Hall
concert, which I listened to on AM radio right after the recordings were found, some time in
40s -- I think I have this on records).

Larry Swain
Backup OKOM piano player of last resort, Boston area.