[Dixielandjazz] Panama Rag 1905

Louis Lince louislince at neworleansmusic.demon.co.uk
Sun Jun 10 04:41:49 PDT 2007

Hi Bob,

Panama Rag is a classic ragtime piece...not boring to me but then it would
be a bland world if we all liked the same. Panama (William Tyers) written in
1911 for Aida Overton and her Panama Girls is the tune most of us know but
to the eternal shame of various record producers it became known as Panama
Rag - because they were too bone idle to check it out when writing sleeve
notes and giving composer credits.

I could go on about various bandleaders still calling it by the incorect
title..but let sleeping dogs lie!

Best

Louis