[Dixielandjazz] Jazz Documentaries on Netflix

Dave Stoddard dhs2 at peoplepc.com
Sat Jun 9 22:20:54 PDT 2007

Dear Listers:

I am a Netflix subscriber, and I once recall seeing a fellow Lister
recommend some Benny Goodman documentaries on Netflix.  For that matter, I
would be interested in seeing any well-done documentaries about jazz
musicians.  Any suggestions?

By the way, I am using Netflix to check out some jazz movies.  I recently
watched Five Pennies (1959) for the first time since I was a kid.  There was
some good music, in fact quite a lot of it, but the story got the Hollywood
Treatment.  In addition, Danny Kaye was the cat's meow in the 1950s, but he
strikes me as an over-the-top clown today.

Birth of the Blues (1941) and Blue Skies (1946) came on a single DVD.
Martha and I enjoyed the music but didn't find either one convincing as
dramas.  Birth of the Blues is full of cliches, and the Bing Crosby
character in Blue Skies was so obviously not marriage material it is hard to
see Joan Caulfield paying more than passing attention to him.  The movie
seemed to go on and on.

I just got Young Man with a Horn (1950) in today.  I have seen most of it on
recent TCM broadcasts, but haven't seen the whole thing for quite a while.
It, too, has its dramatic shortcomings but has some good music.  Big Spider
Beck probably wouldn't recognize himself.

Every once in a while Turner Classic Movies will show jazz movies such as
Young Man with a Horn, Saint Louis Blues, Pete Kelly's Blues and It's Trad,
Dad.  You have to catch them when they show up, as they generally don't get
repeated for months at a time.

Regards,
Dave Stoddard
Round Rock, TX