[Dixielandjazz] Accoustic performance was Volume

D and R Hardie darnhard at ozemail.com.au
Fri Jun 8 16:42:29 PDT 2007

Hi All,
           The recent comments on volume brought me out of lurking mode.
At  a recent concert for the
Southern Highlands Classic Razz and Ragtime Festival the Buddy Bolden
Revival Orchestra
did a 2 hour concert in a large theatre with good accoustics. For
various reasons we decided to dispense
with amplification. When I announced that  like bands of the Bolden era
we would  use  no amplification  the audience broke into spontaneous
applause. As it turned out we had no problems filling the space and
even the vocals could be heard clearly. A representative of the
Victorian Jazz Archive who filmed and  recorded the festival from the
balcony  later told me the sound quality was better than that of other
bands using amplification. This was the first time outside our small
rehearsal space we had been able to perform without amplification and
the first time we had heard the authentic balance of instruments from
Buddy's time. Those of us young enough to remember performing in halls
in the non electronic days were not surprised that the sound level was
adequate. Thems was the days.

Dan Hardie
Check out the website
http://members.ozemail.com.au/~darnhard/EarlyJazzHistory.html