[Dixielandjazz] Domino's Pizza & OKOM - was- young 'bone' player

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Fri Jun 8 09:45:23 PDT 2007

David Dustin <postmaster at fountainsquareramblers.org> wrote (polite snip)

>Does that wealthy/altruistic Domino's pizza founder happen to love OKOM, by any
>chance?

Don't know but at the Church Festival we did last night (Swinging Thursday
Nights Out) the local Domino's Pizza joint down the street supplied Free
Pizza to the church. Offered to the audience for a free will donation. They
delivered pizzas 3 times in an hour and a half. And a local Pepsi bottler
donated free soda used for the same purpose.

The donations were accumulated by the Church for Norristown Ministries,
which supports local charities.

In this area, the local towns, townships, art centers, churches, etc., excel
at getting help from the local businesses to support concerts, fund raisers,
etc. As a result, there are many, many opportunities to reach a wide
audience, young and old, that loves OKOM when they hear it.

We tapped into this market 10 years ago, simply by noticing the local
newspaper concert listings and contacting the organizers. It is such a
strong market that now, every Fall, I mail band information to every local
municipality, of 10,000 or more residents within an 80 mile radius. Simple
one page letter touting our success at summer concerts the year before.

Mail out about 200 letters, get about 30 summer concerts plus many
recommendations for other events such as Weddings, Funerals, Corporate gigs,
private parties, etc. As Larry will tell you, direct mail, properly done,
generates a lot of gigs and does not take a lot of time or money.

Best of all, you get the NEW AUDIENCE and word of mouth through them
generates even more gigs. There is a HUGE hidden demand out there for good
music. OKOM, American Songbook, Swing, etc. Among people of all ages.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone