[Dixielandjazz] Pay for Play

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Thu Jun 7 10:11:04 PDT 2007

Well actually you hit on some things we can all do.  Yes they like Kitchen
Bands - funny you should say that because I have been seriously thinking
about getting a washboard and the junk that goes with it for a tune or two
and / or a pogo cello.  These guys have the old "show biz" and action on
their side.  Goofy - yes but people crave the interaction of other people
and they like to watch people play instruments.  This happens with older
people especially and especially if they are off in a home somewhere.

Since this is getting to be a major business slice with me I watch what's
going on around me.  One of the better banjo players around does a single
act - Dressed as a Clown -   He works these places all the time.  He also
sells real estate so can get away to pick up a hundred bucks or so in the
afternoon.  Does that make him a better banjo player or just a better clown?
There is a friend of mine who plays trombone and has one of those little
purple pocket cornets.  He dresses up as Horny the clown.  I would use him
but then he would figure out that it might be a good thing.

It's show biz and while the cool guys think this is crap and they are right
it's a buck and I intend on being a major player in the game if that's what
it takes.

People like action,  we are addicted to it,  when a commercial comes on how
many grab for the clicker and start surfing?  Before TV and the clicker we
all could sit and quietly watch something now you need to prance around the
stage dressing like who knows what.  No one makes it dressed in a normal way
and there has to be a lot of action.

That's a tall order for an old guy but knowing that I try to be as colorful
as possible,  I don't play endless solos that last forever but rather play a
lot of shorter tunes and I DJ my tunes.  There is always room for
improvement but I know what sells.

Now about poor quality entertainment.  There is no excuse for that and a
good act with some kind of action and show biz approach should be able to
beat out the Kitchen Bands but if you don't have those things then don't be
surprised if you get beat out sometimes.

For all those reasons no matter how good or colorful you are they will still
hire the others.  Why? Because people today crave change.  While you and I
may go back to hear the same group over and over they don't.  It's like me
and Blue Grass music.  I love it for 15 minutes then I get a sudden itch to
do anything else in the world except listen to Blue Grass.  This is where
bands lose out to DJ's.  Bands sound pretty much the same all night and a DJ
can change things off every couple of minutes with great variety and the DJ
talks to the people and has flashing lights and sometimes smoke machines and
strobes.  It's the action thing and the desire for people to have that
action.

Reflect on the past 50 years of music.  Today Elvis and the Beatles look
quaint and just pretty much stand there then look at today's groups prancing
around thrusting their guitars like shovels with fireworks and big sets
which has pretty much become the norm.  They also do a lot of camera
changing too which gives it a semblance of action.  Things have changed a
lot with technology.  The wireless mike gives the musicians and singers full
range to do about anything they want so far as action goes.

So I think a little color and a little action goes a long way even though it
might not be "cool".  Even as early as Glen Miller this was having an
effect.  That band would stand up and wave their horns around pointing
trombone slides etc and the big drum solo started happening.  It's action
and movement that's in.

Another thing is eye contact with the crowd.  That's important too.
Larry
St. Louis