[Dixielandjazz] COPYRIGHTS

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Wed Jun 6 15:58:41 PDT 2007

> Anything published before 1923 is public domain . . . PERIOD.
> Extensions now
> only apply to tunes done after 1923.  However a specific copyrighted
> "arrangement" of one of those tunes, made after 1923 may well be
> protected.

Dear Bob (and Steve),
In my haste this morning I found, but failed to mention, that "High
Society March" (1901) is on the Public Domain website. No author given.
Although, as I mentioned (and Steve points out) it could now be
superseded by later 'arrangements'.
I have been searching my collection for the Prince's Band version of
Steele's 1911 recording of "High Society" [not "High Society March"],
but do not seem to have a copy.
Anton Crouch, do you have it?
Is it the tune we all now know and love?
Kind regards,
Bill.