[Dixielandjazz] Play for pay!

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Tue Jun 5 23:00:13 PDT 2007

There is a vast difference between the standard Senior Citizen home and a
charity.  The homes are for profit and charge residents $3000 a month up.
This in no way is a charity.  The Seniors are paying for a service and the
homes advertise that they have entertainment which attracts paying customers
(the Seniors)  The seniors have paid for your service but a corporation is
nickel and diming you.  I think that this difference is lost on most of the
groups out there who just want to perform.

That's not to say that there aren't homes that are charitable in nature.
There are subsidized homes where the people pay 25% or so of their income no
matter what it is.  There are a lot of elderly people who have only a small
SS check each month.  Those homes are semi charities but when someone calls
me on the phone I may not know what it is.  I have in the past given them
names of groups that will perform for free.  That does two things.  First
they get to perform.  The home isn't going to hire me anyway and it helps
get them out of my hair by directing them to true charitable places.

There is a church run home that has a lot of elderly nuns.  I get calls from
them about twice a year. I have only booked it once.  They always plead
poverty but I simply don't believe it which brings up a suggestion that
might do someone some good.  Groups like that should go to a civic
organization in this case a K of C to help subsidize their entertainment.
That way the Nuns get entertainment, I get paid and the K of C gets to feel
good about what they did for the Nuns.

If you think that these wannabee entertainers don't have an impact just try
to book anything around Christmas time with seniors.  They have groups
coming out of their ears.

I guess I'm sort of dwelling on Seniors and Senior Homes but they are major
purchasers of OKOM here and are important.
Larry
St. Louis