[Dixielandjazz] Young Jazz Players

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Tue Jun 5 20:17:47 PDT 2007

Bless those old timers and jazz festivals who spotlight the young players.
Here's a clip of 14 year old Grace Kelly playing alto sax with the venerable
Phil Woods at a modern jazz festival. Sound is not great but if you listen
through that, you'll hear a great player.

The tune is "I'll Remember April". Modern, but worth a listen.

Woods gave her one of his hats after her performance. IMO, she is terrific.
If you google Grace Kelly + Saxophone, you'll come up with info on her. Lots
of "Famous Old Guys" helping her out with paying gigs. See

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLNe6aaZMiM

Something all of us working musicians should do. We've got a 16 year old
alto sax player sitting in with us this Thursday night and by his request,
we'll do "Blue Monk" and "April in Paris" along with our usual repertoire.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone