[Dixielandjazz] Play for pay!

Randy Fendrick jfendrick at bak.rr.com
Tue Jun 5 12:00:26 PDT 2007

I just read Larry's viewpoint about the big band that was getting $200
for a gig.  I agree with most of what he says and am disturbed at the
direction that music is taking re: pay.  Several years ago, rock clubs
in California discovered that they could charge bands X amount for the
use of their clubs and that groups would pay so they can gain exposure.
  Whatever that means.  I was brought up to believe that person should
charge for his/her services.  A group in our town has begun a jazz
workshop to benefit youth, that is teach youngsters how to play jazz
and have a place to jam.  While the intent is good, the result is to
cheapen the craft that we all love.  They have asked our group to come
in a do a 45 minute set for gratis and demonstrate how to play what we
play.  Most in our group say, why not, the co-leader and I just shake
our heads.  This month, I am playing the show "The World Goes Around"
at a dinner theater  One of the tunes in that is show is a tune we all
should keep in mind,  "Money, Makes The World Go Round."  Remember
also, the first law in economics, "There is no such thing as a free
lunch!"
later,
rf
Randy Fendrick