[Dixielandjazz] Smiley Faces, VBGs & Humor

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sun Jun 3 19:05:32 PDT 2007

Bcf111 at aol.com wrote:

>Aw c'mon, Steve; do you really think that  a  Smiley Face and a VBG in an
>e-mail unshoots the gun?  I  don't think so.  It's right in tune with saying
>something  really offensive  and  then saying "Just kidding."   Childish.

>If it needs a Smiley Face and a VBG to take  the sting out, maybe it shoulda
>been skipped in the first place,  ne'?

>Ben Fowlkes, old fogy in  Sacramento

Aw c'mon yourself Ben. Do you really think the sentence that preceded them
was a gunshot? Or was really offensive?

Humor is humor. Some get it, some don't. But  kick back and give me a break.
Not too long ago I wrote something obviously humorous and did not put the
smiley face and VBG after it. Damn if someone didn't castigate me for not
making it clear that humor was intended and suggested I use them when humor
was intended.

BTW, did you read my declaration of love for both Bob and Dave and the full
context of my original email? Gunshots? Stings? What's that all about?

Cheers,
Steve Barbone, humorous old fogy in Oxford