[Dixielandjazz] Horn damage -- Instrument damage

Robert S. Ringwald robert at ringwald.com
Sun Jun 3 11:01:40 PDT 2007

At the recent Sacramento Jazz Jubilee, a banjo player was telling about
another banjo player who was sitting on a plane and watched a lady baggage
handler pick up his banjo, luckily in a strong traveling case, and throw it
over her shoulder.  It landed where the tip (tuning pegs) of the neck would
be.

To his relief, when he finally got the case and opened the banjo, it was OK.

I have seen musicians put instruments through baggage in non-traveling
cases.  To me this is a complete no-no.

Some years ago there was a discussion of baggage handling on DJML, of music
instruments on the airlines.  As I remember, an airline pilot said that he
has seen baggage dropped out of an airplane 20-feet to the ground.

--Bob Ringwald K6YBV
916/806-9551
www.ringwald.com
--
Leader, The Fulton Street Jazz Band
www.fultonstreetjazz.com

"The bottom line of any country is, what did we contribute to the world?
We contributed Louis Armstrong." Tony Bennett  --