[Dixielandjazz] Horn damaged by TSA while traveling--TSA's answer

Ministry of Jazz jazzmin at actcom.net.il
Sun Jun 3 01:46:35 PDT 2007

Shalom Jazz Fans,

A couple months ago I reported to this list that a bass trumpet I purchased
in the US was damaged during a TSA baggage inspection on a domestic flight.
The horn was packed in its hard shell case, and then packed inside another
bag and padded with clothing. It was not a baggage handling incident. The
bell of the horn was crushed when I opened the case after the flight. It had
to have been removed from the case and dropped, or even banged on something
intentionally.

I carefully filled out 4 pages of claim forms, complete with supporting
documents like my boarding pass, baggage claim check, a note from TSA saying
the bag was inspected but not acknowledging the damage to the horn, pictures
of the horn before and after, the receipt for the horn and the receipt for
its repair.

Today, 2 months after filing the claim, I received TSA answer:

"... your claim is denied. TSA is precluded from paying claims where the
claimed loss was not a result of the negligence or wrongful act of its
employees. This letter constitutes final administrative action on your claim
against the United States."

In other words, TSA did not deal at all with my contention that the damage
was caused by one of their employees while the horn was in their hands, and
could not have been caused by any other normal handling of the bag during
the flight. They just said, "we're not responsible, and that is final. So
sue us."

I sent an email protesting this response, but I doubt it will do any good.
And I have no intention of trying to sue the TSA for $175 in damages. So I
probably have no further recourse.

I just thought anyone wanting to travel with a musical instrument might like
to know what good hands our security is in. So far the TSA has done more
damage to me than Al Qaida.

Elazar "I'm not a terrorist" Brandt
Dr. Jazz Dixieland Band
Tekiya Trumpet Ensemble