[Dixielandjazz] Jonathan Russell & Tuning - Redux

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sat Jun 2 07:13:56 PDT 2007

I must be getting old. Left out a paragraph in my explanation of why "J"
might play out of tune once in a while.

Basically what I wanted to add should have come after a comment about "J"'s
sense of pitch. I stated that he probably had perfect pitch, but neglected
to develop the follow up to it.

He depends upon his ears. When in a loud band, like Migrant Workers (or
Barbone Street), he can't always hear himself and that's a problem. No doubt
other ear trained players on the list know exactly what I mean.

I noticed it the first time he played with us on a professional stage set-up
at the Wilmington Riverfront, outdoors before an audience of some 5000. He
was 9 back then. Without thinking about "J", I said we didn't want the
monitors hooked up, since we were set up close together and bass & guitar
mike their amps so we'd have no trouble hearing them.

It was apparent on the first number that "J" was having some trouble. I
asked him if he could hear himself and he said no. So we hooked him up into
a monitor. Presto, the rest of the concert was a gem.

So, as a reminder to other bands that may work with him, SET HIM UP SO THAT
HE CAN HEAR HIMSELF. That little violin ain't very loud compared with the
rest of the you and if the speakers are set up in front of him, he can't
hear himself.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone