[Dixielandjazz] What's New?

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sat Jun 2 06:55:41 PDT 2007

> "Robert S. Ringwald" <robert at ringwald.com>

> Dave Stoddard writes:
>
>> I am a little tired of the blanket bashing of jazz clubs and jazz
>> societies on the Dixieland Jazz Mailing List.
>> (snip)
>
> Thank you Dave.
>
> Yes, the constant negativity by a few members does get a bit wearing.
> Comments here and there are OK.  But when it continues for years, it does
> get tiresome.

Oops the list police are at it again. :-) VBG

You know I love you Bob, and appreciate what you do for the DJML. It is a
thankless task. And I love Dave, having gigged with him for several years
before he left this area for Texas. (Brother Jim says hello Dave, saw him a
few days ago on the Wilmington Riverfront)

However, I respectfully disagree with your blanket characterization of
comments with the words; "Comments here and there are OK.  But when it
continues for years, it does get tiresome."

As an opinion, that's fine, but as an admonition to others not to voice
their opinions, it really doesn't speak to what this list is. As Mike said,
it is a discussion list.

Not only that, but every few years, the membership within the list changes
considerably. So that what we old gray beards hear as a "constant" is brand
new to many, if not the majority of the list.

If we go back and re-read all of the discussions on the list for the past 5
years. we find that there are many threads that are repeated over and over.
Why? Because those threads are brand new as far as listees are concerned and
interesting to them. We also find many more posts to the list these days and
a very vibrant discussion forum. (And younger list members) All very
positive indicators of relevance.

Don't like an opinion? Answer or Delete seems to be the best solution.
Surely better than trying to stifle discussion.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone