[Dixielandjazz] "America the Beautiful" - Eddie Higgins on YouTube

Gluetje1 at aol.com Gluetje1 at aol.com
Fri Jun 1 18:51:59 PDT 2007

Lovely, lovely!  America the Beautiful gets my vote for U.S. national
anthem.  Since 911 I have watched over and over how entire audiences will  rise and
often even place their hands over their hearts to sing, God Bless  America.
Oh, how I wish I could see that happening instead for America the  Beautiful!
Plus I do not like the implicit ethnocentrism in (tribalism) in  God Bless
America.  God bless the Universe suits my values.  Maybe  I'll work on those
lyrics.  :?)
Ginny

Meanwhile:

(lyrics by Katherine Lee Bates;
music composed by Samuel A. Ward  --
_more  history_ (http://www.niehs.nih.gov/kids/lyrics/america.htm#history)
on the poem and music)
O beautiful for spacious  skies,
For amber waves of grain,
For purple mountain  majesties
Above the fruited plain!

America! America!
God shed  His grace on thee,
And crown thy good with brotherhood
>From sea to  shining sea! O beautiful for pilgrim feet
Whose stern  impassion'd stress
A thoroughfare for freedom beat
Across the  wilderness.

America! America!
God mend thine ev'ry flaw,
Confirm  thy soul in self-control,
Thy liberty in law.

O beautiful for heroes  prov'd
In liberating strife,
Who more than self their country  loved,
And mercy more than life.

America! America!
May God thy gold  refine
Till all success be nobleness,
And ev'ry gain divine.

O  beautiful for patriot dream
That sees beyond the years
Thine alabaster  cities gleam
Undimmed by human tears.

America! America!
God shed  His grace on thee,
And crown thy good with brotherhood
>From sea to shining  sea.

In a message dated 6/1/2007 8:15:13 P.M. Central Daylight Time,