[Dixielandjazz] Trombonists Russ Phillips, John Allred (and more Jennifer Leitham on bass)

Nancy Giffin NANCYink at surewest.net
Fri Jun 1 13:29:44 PDT 2007

While there will never be another Turk Murphy,
nor many musicians who worked 6 nights a week strengthening chops,
we do have some good players today. Here is a YouTube clip I just uploaded
that features the talents of trombonists Russ Phillips (Chicago) and John
Allred (NYC). Allred surprised the band by sitting-in last minute, and he
and Russ P had some fun on this one. Also, for those who were unhappy about
the interrupted bass solo by Jennifer Leitham on the Jonathan clip, here she
takes nearly a minute-and-a-half solo.
The room had bad acoustics -- sorry -- and the stage was set up for a big
band, not this small combo. (You could've driven a semi-truck between the
piano and drums!) The musicians could not really hear each other, but did
pretty well, considering. Also in the video are Eddie Higgins, Becky
Kilgore, Allan Vache, Davy Jones, and Vince Bartels.
"Bei Mir Bist du Schoen" (minus the intro but still 7 minutes long)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Nmo-DdLI74

Love and hugs,
Nancy

P.S. Very sorry to hear about John Farrell. Rest in peace, my friend.