[Dixielandjazz] Entertainers vs. Artists

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Tue Jul 31 13:27:36 PDT 2007

> Speculation makes me to wonder what would have
> been if Satchmo never tried to please his public.
> Cheers,

Well maybe nothing.  His style and influence could not have spread so
quickly without first the musicians around him acting as musical
missionaries of sorts.  He first impressed them musically.  After that
though it was recordings, then radio and the movies then TV.  It's the radio
and TV that went out to the masses and it was critical to be an entertainer.
He did grow into it and was certainly up to the challenge as the demands
became more.

I have maintained for a long time that a person to make it big has to be
multi talented as of course he was.  He was able to keep more than one ball
in the air at one time.   Although I think he dumbed things down a bit for
the TV audience with more nice tunes and a little less jazz.  I think if you
wanted to hear him play jazz you would have had to take in his act live.
That's just speculation on my part but I'm more impressed with his earlier
work than his TV shows that I remember.
Larry
St. Louis