[Dixielandjazz] tuba mics (was "Clarinet mics")

Dan Augustine ds.augustine at mail.utexas.edu
Mon Jul 30 13:46:54 PDT 2007

DJML--
     Hold on, i think i'm gonna be sick.  You used a mike (pronounced
'mic') on your trombone that allowed you to play a tuba part?
Weren't there any tuba players available?  What did it sound like?
     Better yet, can anyone out there comment on using mikes with
tubas?  Are there such beasts?
     And yes, sometimes it appears it might be useful.  The last ATJS
concert we had Dave Stoddard played his upright-bell tuba (and
sounded great albeit a little faint to me), but he was in the back
row (well, what was the last time you saw the tuba in the front row,
and i don't mean Red Lehr, who plays a sousaphone), and his sound was
muffled or covered up partially by the acoustics of the room (high
ceiling, no forward-slanting walls behind him to direct the sound
toward the audience) and partially by the loudness of the other
players.
     Is there a mike and speaker-system he could have used?

     Dan (who uses a King 2341 tuba with 'recording' (bell-front) tuba
and usually doesn't have this problem)

**  Dan Augustine  --  Austin, Texas  --  ds.augustine at mail.utexas.edu
**    "There is no great concurrence between learning and wisdom."
**              -- Francis Bacon (1561-1626)