[Dixielandjazz] FW: Da foot......

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Mon Jul 30 02:53:22 PDT 2007

I have received various private messages about my posting of a video where I
play the trombone with my foot. I realize I am not the first, and follow a
long line of respected trombonists.

I started doing it after hearing that Bob Havens did it when he was with Al
Hirt.  I figured if a guy like that could "lower himself" to such tricks
that was good enough for me.  Now, it's become a bit of a demand at our
concerts by our fans.

I had a lady stop me on the beach in the North of Spain.  She said "you
didn't take your shoe off".  I looked at my feet, and she said..."no, last
night at the concert...and I told my grandson to wait for the last number &
you would do something he would really enjoy". I had actually disappointed
her by not doing "the thing".  One should always remember, it's just another
nite for the band, but may be a magic night for a listener.

I recall listening to Teddy Buckner in the 1950's & telling friends..."wait
til he starts this laughter bit while counting off a tune"!  He would often
start laughing while counting 1-2, 1-2-3, and after many tries the whole
audience would be roaring, also.  A great trick.  I was terribly
disappointed if he didn't do it...just like the lady at the beach.  Those of
us in a band may become tired of a trick, but the audience thrives on it.

There is always that fine line with "entertainment"  So called "serious
musicians" like to point out that any type of entertainment is "clowning".
I like to point out that if you listen to what I play when doing the foot
thing is a rather demanding solo, and couldn't be done even with the hand if
one wasn't a pretty darn good trombonist!

If you listen to that video closely you will hear a huge audience
participation (even if they do resort to "on the beat" clapping when a tune
is very fast).  We draw a basically uneducated (in Jazz), young audience (20
to 40 yr olds), and it is fun to "pull them into" our style of music.  Some
visual tricks are necessary to pull that off.

You can't get much closer to your audience than when you start taking your
clothes off!

Jim